Saturday, December 8, 2012

Grandad Ernie


Only 2 months after Ian’s Dad passing we were really upset when my Grandad (Grandad Ernie to Ian and the kids) passed away in his nursing home in Sale. Grandad was 96 and was very special to me my whole life. He moved from England to Australia when he was 11 and was a World War 2 veteran, an avid sports lover and a fantastic family man.

We were unable to go to his funeral but I included a copy of my Eulogy, which my very special friend Natalie read on my behalf at his funeral. Thanks Natee.

Sorry Grandad that I could not be with you today.

But you will be pleased to know that I am celebrating your special day by attending a Garden Party in Zambia at which the Her Royal Highness – The Princess Royal will be present, to celebrate the Diamond Jubilee of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II. I know how much fun that you and Nana had attending the Jubilee Celebrations in England in 1977 and I also know that you would not want Ian and I to miss the chance to share a drink with The Princess Royal. I know you always told me how important it was to “have a drink at 11!”

Another special memory I have is you coming to visit me in Townsville after Nana died. You were so brave and we had so much fun doing a big pub crawl around North Queensland. My friends thought you were the coolest Grandad ever.

Phillip Island when we were little was also great. I think Sandy and I were a bit disappointed when the internal walls got built at our Cowes house and we could not talk to you and Nana over the wardrobe. Thankyou for playing cricket with us for hours during the day and cards with us for hours at night.

I will never forget you – I will always remind Jessica and Cameron about you so that you stay in their memory. My whole life I cannot walk past fresh mint without forgetting the excitement of opening the windows pulling up the driveway when we arrived in Sale for a holiday. This smell will always remind me of you.

We will miss you
Love Narelle, Ian, Jessica and Cameron

Dad, Narelle, Cameron (4) and Grandad Ernie

Grandad Ernie, Narelle, Dad and Jessica (at 9 months)

No comments:

Post a Comment