Sunday, August 7, 2011

It was just a dodgy week

Apparently I need to get use to this – things in Zambia never quite pan out as one plans. So from here on in I will talk about what has happened rather than mention what “might” happen next week. On Thursday I found out that our “stuff” will not arrive as I thought this week, but “maybe” in 4 or 5 weeks time.  The same day it took me more than 30minutes to open a can of food for the kids because of the dodgy can opener, the milk leaked all over the car because in Zambia the lids on the milk don’t actually do up properly and a man knocked on our door at 8.00 at night (when Ian was in South Africa) because he needed to come into our hotel room and “put more credit” into our electricity board because we were about to run out of power!

On a positive note we made some friends - and even got invited for a BBQ today, which we all enjoyed. The kids attended their cooking class and have officially passed me in their cooking skill level and as well we have 4 new “flushable” toilets in our new house!

Our weekly observations included Jessica commenting to Ian and I, as we got involved in yet another funeral procession, that there must be over 100 people in the back of the truck in front of us. In reply, we had to agree that she was probably right and it seemed funny that earlier she had told us that she was a bit squashed in her car seat! As well we saw a woman with at least 300 eggs on her head walking easily along near our house and to top it off I have come to grips that if I am going to let Jessica and Cameron eat yogurt again then it is going to contain colours and preservatives!

Ian spent the week in South Africa – where he had an extremely busy work week – although he suffered from a dodgy tummy which he could not blame on Zambia. I have started my study again and have my first assignment due on Friday week. If this week it seems like I have not enjoyed myself as much as the first two – it may well be true – but I am taking comfort that I am a textbook case of moving to a new strange country and from here on in it gets better.

I hope you enjoy our blog. Stay tuned…

Sibling love


Love the Harts in Zambia

No comments:

Post a Comment